Thursday, May 22, 2014

New Tolkien Audio? (Rotterdam speech)

So, imagine my surprise when tonight I checked out headlines on Huffington Post and found a piece about a new Tolkien release. And not THE BEOWULF, as it turns out, but his 1958 Rotterdam speech. Here's the link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noble-smith/jrr-tolkien-reveals-the-t_b_5373529.html

More on this once I've had a chance to find out details.

--John R.
today's song: "Hotel California"
today's reading: DARKER THAN YOU THINK (just finished), WHO FEARS THE DEVIL? (just finished), ADEPT'S GAMBIT (just started)

3 comments:

Wurmbrand said...

Thanks for this news!

Tolkien Scholars said...

So, what did you find out about this? All I can find is the short snippet on InfoWars. Was this all a hoax? While all the articles from 2014 still mention it, without any updates, all of the links to the full version are no longer valid. I notice that MiddleEarthNetwork.com is also defunct. Correlative or causal?
Appreciate any insight you may have.
Thanks!
-Hawke

John D. Rateliff said...

Hi T.S.

Thanks for the reminder.

No, I don't have any more information on this. I'm assuming that the difficulties of augmenting the tape to improve its quality along with questions regarding the rights.

That said, I hope they are able to enhance the audio into something more listen-able and get permissions to make it available through the right forum.

Let me know if you find out more.

--John R.