Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Am Interviewed . . .

. . . in Belgium.

With the official release date of MR. BAGGINS, Part One of THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, now exactly four weeks away (Tues. May 8th), I've started getting interesting requests relating to the book. Some of these have been in the works for a while -- a possible book signing in Seattle, another in Milwaukee in connection with an event there, and even one in Holland (contingent however on my being able to make a side trip to Holland during my next research trip to England). Now I've been interviewed by TolkienLibrary.com, a Belgium-based website for collectors of JRRT's work that posts regular updates about new releases, such as the much-anticipated CHILDREN OF HURIN. They sent me a list of questions a while back, and I finally managed to get back to them with a set of answers; the results can be seen at

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/history_of_the_hobbit.php

And, as if to underscore the internationalism of Tolkien's audience, today comes a query about the book from Poland. I've known for years from Gary Hunnewell's work that we Tolk Folk are everywhere, but it's one thing to see a list of fanzines, newsletters, and journals from abroad and another to have direct contact via e-mail with people who share my interest in Tolkien and THE HOBBIT but live not just thousands of miles away but on another continent. We may have finally realized the old dream of Tolk Folk everywhere to meet others who share our enthusiasm for the Professor and his works: everywhere you go, there we are.


current reading: IN THE COMPANY OF CROWS AND RAVENS by Seattle's own Jn M. Marzluff & Tony Angell [2005]

current audiobook: HIS EXCELLENCY: GEORGE WASHINGTON by Joseph J. Ellis [2004]

2 comments:

Beren said...

Hey John, It was indeed nice to post the interview at Tolkienlibrary.com and lovely reactions I received from readers of my website! It is indeed true... when I first started writing updates on new Tolkien books I knew there where Tolkien fanzines and Tolkien Societies all over the worl. Yet I finally realised how big the Tolkien world was when I started receiving mails from Iceland, New Zealand, Australia, Jamaice,... You know there is a whole crowd out there waiting for your new book and of all the collectors I know the Hobbit is the most read and collected book of all time. No wonder that people get excited when they hear The History of the Hobbit will finally see publication. We can only thank you! I wish you all the best on your road... and remember, you never know what lies around the next corner!

chris. said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the possible Seattle signing! We'll certainly try to make it no matter where it is.

Hope you're enjoying In the Company of Crows and Ravens. I haven't read it myself, so i'll be curious to hear what you think of it.